I happened upon Monarchy: The Royal Family at Work this afternoon on public television and found episode 1 to include the queen’s visit to the White House. Here are some tidbits:
- WH staff is shown touching up the paint, using Duron Exterior Alkyd/Oil Gloss labeled “Whisper – 248”.
- Miss Beazley got into the white paint the day of the queen’s state dinner.
- The queen’s visit was the occasion of the first (and, I think, only) white tie event during the Bush 2 administration.
- Buckingham Palace is waaaay fancier than the WH, but some of the corridors are very narrow.
- Bush 2 met the queen when she visited the WH during the Bush 1 time, 16 years earlier.
- Barney likes to steal the president’s ball when he is practicing on the putting green and is very good at pulling golf balls out of the hole.
- The president had a good joke about how he was concerned at how Barney would behave toward the queen, given that he is Scottish.
- The Bush 1s stay in the Queens’ Bedroom when they visit the Bush 2 WH, as the Bush 2s did when they visited the Bush 1 WH.
- Some of the queen’s house staff are what Mrs. Slocombe would have called “dead common”.
- The queen’s lunch was held in the Yellow Oval Room.